Monday, January 5, 2015

Weekend Update

The problem with taking time off of work is having to go back when it's over.

Out of the last two weeks I've spent a whopping total of 4 days in the office, and now, like the kids heading back to school after a 2-week Christmas holiday, I'm facing the prospects of a fairly long slog  through winter. I like my job, don't get me wrong, but I like to be home, too.

The good news is I did use the time quite productively in terms of writing. Yesterday I wrote up what I think is the final scene of my WiP. Tomorrow night I start to go through it again from the beginning. There's a lot of work to be done on it, for sure, but now we're definitely in a new phase and I'm looking forward to it.

On other writing-related news, I have a phone conference with Carrie this evening, which Carrie is doing with all of her clients over the next week or so. It will be nice to talk to her and set out our plans and strategies for the current year, something I'm notoriously not good at.

Non-writing wise, we are bracing for a cold front, which began arriving late last night. We hit the 40 degree mark yesterday. It's around 20 now, which I believe is where it's supposed to top out for the day. Later in the week we're looking at single-digits by day, negatives at night. Last year when this happened I remember saying, "It's that one week of brutality that we get every year"--except it wasn't a week and it didn't go away until March. Here's hoping this one goes away sooner. We're heading into the teeth of the winter now; hopefully, it won't have too much bite.

That's all for me for now; what's new with you?


9 comments:

  1. Ha! Enjoy that cold front. I've been dealing with it since Christmas. Finally getting above freezing today in our neck of the woods. :)

    And congrats on the first draft news. Great place to be, writing-wise, to start the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you there. Christmas is over. Can it be April now? It's my first full five days of work in the last three. But next week I'm off to Disneyland with my daughter's family. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I've been working, but I have nothing to show for it. I think that's what promotion is all about, huh?

    It's cold in Ohio, too. I don't think the temp even got into the 20s today. Tonight we get snow. About 2-4". I hope that's all it is. Thursday morning it will be below zero. Brrr... I think I will hibernate now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're cold here too! -25C yesterday, only -17C today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up in Michigan so I remember those cold snaps. I miss the snow but not the cold. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. L.G.--Oh, yeah, enjoying that -15 this morning.

    -Donna--Have a great time! Unfortunately, we have three more months to get through first.

    -Stacy--Promotion is all about the long game, right? Stay warm!

    Jemi--Admit it, you all use Celsius just to make yourselves look tough!

    -Stephen--I'm trying, I'm trying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your draft and I hope the edits goes well. Hopefully you and Carrie got some good plans hashed out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's about 35 here at night (about 55 in the day). There is no heating in Egypt. Probably has something to do with no trees or coal and sand doesn't burn very well. Only hotels have heat and restaurants have big gas heaters that look a bit like aluminum palm trees. I think I'm wearing all the clothes I own. Plus a blanket. Feel better now?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Nick. Yes, we did get some good things hashed out. Maybe I'll write about it!

    Lexa--No! But thank you for sharing that, I hope you warm up soon. I just didn't think you needed heat in Egypt. Guess I was wrong!

    ReplyDelete

Alas, due to an overwhelming tide of spam from Anonymous commenters, you must now be a registered user to comment. Sorry, folks, I hope it does not cause inconvenience.