Tuesday, May 29, 2012

"Make Good Art"


Very strange. I thought I had scheduled this thing to post yesterday, but I didn't, I set it for Tuesday, instead. I wasn't here yesterday. We went to Massachusetts for a wedding, a lovely affair, and a totally knew experience for me: the bride is of Cambodian descent, and we got to participate in a very different ceremony from what we're used to here in the west. And when I say 'participate', I mean it truly, it was a highly-participatory event, and a bit of pity on the bride and groom who had to do a lot of kneeling, and undergo a multi-day ceremony that involved at least five different outfits each. But it was a beautiful ceremony, a lot of fun, and great food, too.

Anyway, if you haven't seen this, the above video is Neil Gaiman delivering the commencement address for the University of the Arts Class of 2012. It's 20 minutes long and well worth it, in my opinion. I'm not even going to give a "Too long; didn't read" version like I did on my Facebook page, because I think you should just go ahead and watch. And listen. I will say thanks to S.E. Sinkhorn, because I came across it on her blog.

4 comments:

  1. This video is so inspiring! What a wonderful story, and some great advice. I especially loved that first piece of advice: if you don't know what is or isn't possible, there are no rules stopping you from doing anything you want. Thank you for sharing this wonderful video! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a great speech. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually just finished reading Coraline by Neil Gaiman yesterday. It was half creepy, half genius and one of the most unique children's books I've ever read.

    Very inspiring speech (well,maybe except that little bit about lying to get his first job). But such a great speech. Make Great Art - I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is well worth the 20 minutes. Wonderful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Alas, due to an overwhelming tide of spam from Anonymous commenters, you must now be a registered user to comment. Sorry, folks, I hope it does not cause inconvenience.